Winter Quarter 2014

ENGR110/210
 Perspectives in Assistive Technology 

David L. Jaffe, MS and Professor Drew Nelson
Tuesdays & Thursdays   4:15pm - 5:30pm
Thornton Center - Classroom 110

home icon

Students' Recommendations, Suggestions, and Advice
Winter 2013

From students' individual reflections:

I would advise future students not to be intimidated by taking on an ambitious project but if they are going to do that, make sure to take advantage of the resources offered through the class community and to set a very strict timescale for their project.

It would have been helpful for us to create a timeline earlier in the quarter than we did.

If I were to do this again, I would probably research more on the statistics of wheelchair users.

I feel like I should have addressed more of these questions [understood the problem better] instead of just jumping into the design process after an interview.

If I were to do something differently, I wish I had more time to work on the project.

If I could redo this project, I would have explored persons with various disabilities that may need button dressing aids.

If I were to do something different in the course, I would have interacted more with the other students because even though I knew that the insights I described in this reflection could have helped other projects, and vice-versa. I would have also taken more advantage of the PRL staff to gain design feedback and advice.

I do not think I would change much about the quarter at all.

Pieces of advice that I would give future students are:

1. Be specific about your design problem statement and your user. This will allow you to ideate and test more efficiently and effectively.

2. Be comfortable starting over in your design process. Go back to the empathy stage if you need more data. Brainstorm and prototype some more if you have to.

3. The more iterations you can do of an idea, the better so that you can continuously improve your product.

4. Ask for help or guidance from Dave, your coach, other students in the class, people who took the class before, PRL TAs.

5. Put time into your presentations. Others won't be able to fully appreciate the work you've done unless you showcase your process well.

If I were to go through this process again, there are several things that I would do differently.

I would be sure to begin the brainstorming and prototyping process as early as possible.

I would also be sure to keep that process up until I reach the final design stage.

Also very important is to stay in contact with your user as much as possible because they provide you with a valuable perspective that you may not have.

If I was to do this class again I would definitely try to contact a lot more users to test our product and start the prototyping process even earlier.

I would get into the shop earlier and prototype more.

Prototype early, prototype often, and try to prove out or debunk product ideas as quickly as you possibly can, using as low-resolution prototype as can give you definitive information.

Strive always to maintain an open mind and the flexibility to give up old ideas in light of new information.

Enjoy yourself as much as possible, because if the process of solving problems can become fun for you, then there is no limit to what you can achieve.

I plan to encourage my group [members] to take some time away from each other to brainstorm whenever each person feels inclined; doing this along with more organized group brainstorm sessions will provide a larger variety of ideas.

I would suggest that other groups get to know their group members from the beginning and understand what everyone's expectations are.

I also suggest making physical prototypes as soon as possible. Drawing is great and helps at the beginning, but the major "ah-ha" moments will come when you actually make your designs.

The main piece of advice I would give to future students is to focus on early prototyping and user testing.

It was important for us to realize that a lot of what we needed for prototyping was at our reach in the Stanford PRL. Being thrifty and using easy quick materials like thin soft plastics and wood was extremely important for making quick prototypes and being able going through multiple iterations as our ideas evolved. We would basically sit in the shop and just try prototypes of new ideas as we thought of them. I think being able to try stuff out in this fashion was extremely helpful in honing down our solution and eliminating problems as they arose.

Previous years' suggestions

2012

Updated 07/30/2013

Back to Homepage

back to homepage