Atlas logo

ATLAS

Assistive
Technology 
Laboratory
at
Stanford

Technology and design benefitting individuals with disabilities and older adults in the local community
January 19, 2019    
2 columns of images relating to assistive technology

Perspectives is the newsletter of the Stanford course,
Perspectives in Assistive Technology.

Perspectives of Stanford Students with a Disability

This issue invites you to attend the next class session
and encourages your participation in the course's Assistive Technology Faire.

Perspectives in Assistive Technology is a Winter Quarter Stanford course - preparing for its thirteenth year - that explores the design, development, and use of assistive technology that benefits people with disabilities and older adults. It consists of semi-weekly classroom discussions; lectures by notable professionals, clinicians, and assistive technology users; tours of local medical, clinical, and engineering facilities; student project presentations and demonstrations; an Assistive Technology Faire; and a film screening.

Course News

Updated Course Statistics - It looks like the course enrollment has stabilized at 34 students: 27 pursuing a team project, 2 opting to work on an individual project, and 5 attending lectures.

Assistive Technology Faire - Three additional vendors will be participating in the Faire: Ogo Technology, Sha Design, and Kevin Supakkul.

Do you have a suggestion for a film about disabilty and assistive technology? - I am looking for suggestions for a film to screen on Tuesday, March 5th during classtime. The film must not be over 60 minutes in length and must be available on DVD for no or low cost.

Next class session of the thirteenth season - Tuesday, January 22nd at 4:30pm
in a new venue - Lathrop Library Classroom 282

David Stentiford, Trisha Kulkarni, Zina Jawadi, Rachael Wallach, and Evan Feinberg
Stanford University

photo of David  photo of Trisha  photo of Zina  photo of Rachael  photo of Evan

Abstract: In this panel discussion, five Stanford students will discuss their disabilities, the challenges they have faced, their academic goals, and the assistive technology they employ to be successful students.

David Stentiford's Biosketch: David Stentiford is a PhD Candidate in the Program in Modern Thought and Literature. His research is based in the interdisciplinary field of Environmental Humanities, and his dissertation examines contemporary discourses and practices related to ecological intervention, that is, the deliberate reorganization of Nature. David is an avid text-to-speech user.

Trisha Kulkarni's Biosketch: "I am a freshman at Stanford this year. At this point in time, I have not declared a major, but I am exploring my interest in Symbolic Systems, Management Science and Engineering, and Computer Science. When I was in middle school, I unexpectedly lost my vision to a retinal detachment and other complications with my eyes, but with the unwavering support of my family, friends, and educators, I have still been able to reach my personal and academic goals. Last summer I received a scholarship from the National Federation of the Blind which has sparked my involvement in the organization. I am currently co-chair of the California Association of Blind Students fundraising committee as well as a proud member of the National Association of Blind Students. On the weekend of January 25th, I will be traveling to Washington DC for the NABS Leadership Summit and Washington Seminar where I will have the opportunity to learn about legislation surrounding people with disabilities and advocate for national educational reform to our US senators."

Zina Jawadi's Biosketch: Zina Jawadi is a senior at Stanford University and is involved with disability advocacy on campus through Power2ACT and the ASSU Executive Cabinet. Outside of Stanford, Zina is the president of the Hearing Loss Association of America, California State Association, an affiliate of the Hearing Loss Association of America, the largest nonprofit representing people with hearing loss in the US. Zina founded a disability awareness program at her high school, The Harker School, and previously researched and created a video about techniques for teaching mainstreamed students with hearing loss.

Rachael Wallach's Biosketch: Rachael Wallach is a student in Stanford's Graduate School of Business and is the founder of Disrupt Disability, a social enterprise that has created the first modular wheelchair that a user can continually customize for function or fashion to their body, environment, and individual style. She started using a wheelchair when she was 18 years old, before she went to Cambridge University to study Philosophy. After graduating she pursued a fast track management training scheme in public administration. Rachael went on to commission health and social care services on behalf of UK Local Government and the National Health Service and lead central government program that built the capacity of health and social care not-for-profits and helped them win government service contracts. She has been an advisor to the UK Government’s Office for Disability Issues, was Vice Chair of Scope (the UK’s largest Disability Charity) and has served on the boards of the Social Care Institute for Excellence, Community Integrated Care (the UK’s largest not-for-profit social care provider) and was a founding trustee of the Global Disability Innovation Hub.

Evan Feinberg's Biosketch: Evan Feinberg is a PhD Candidate at Stanford in Computational Biophysics. In his research, Evan works with Professor Vijay S. Pande on in silico approaches for drug discovery. While he has struggled with chronic pain and compartment syndrome since his college days at Yale, Evan has felt empowered to advance the field of chronic pain management through his research on the µ Opioid Receptor. Most recently, he has been developing deep neural network architectures to identify lead molecules for developing new medicines.

You are invited to attend this and all other class sessions - Class sessions will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 to 5:50pm starting Tuesday, January 8th and are open to the greater Stanford community. You need not be a Stanford student to attend, no signup is required, and there is no charge.

clip art of lecturer in fron of clasroom

New classroom! - The course will be held in classroom 282 in the Lathrop Library located at the corner of Lasuen Mall and Serra Mall, adjacent to Memorial Auditorium and the Oval. It seats as many as 150 people in a flexible and accessible space. Here is a webpage with maps, directions, and photos.

Photo of the front of Lathrop Library
clip art of a faire

You are invited to participate in the Assistive Technology Faire - This seventh annual course event will provide an opportunity for students and community members to get an up-close look at a variety of assistive technology devices and learn about available services. Users of assistive technology products as well as small companies and agencies serving individuals with disabilities and older adults are encouraged to bring assistive technology devices and information to display, demonstrate, and discuss. Please browse to the Call for Assistive Technology Faire Participants webpage and contact me if you would like to be a part of this event as a user or vendor of assistive technology products or services. Everyone is welcome to attend the Faire.

The Faire will start at 4:30pm on Thursday, February 28th in the Lathrop Library, Classroom 282.

Here are my photos from last year's Faire.

Upcoming class sessions:

Other

Support the course - Funding in any amount for the course and student projects is always welcomed. Monetary gifts support approved project expenses, administrative costs, honoraria for guest lecturers, and the end-of-term celebration. Refer to the Course and Project Support webpage for more information.

Email questions, comments, or suggestions - Please email me if you have general questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the course. Thank you again for your interest.

Dave

5 rows of images of course presenters and community members

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please email Dave.